30 Mar Engineering Manager – Capital Projects
The Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA), is Carrboro-Chapel Hill’s not-for-profit public service agency delivering high-quality water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services. OWASA seeks a strong, results-oriented leader to join our team as an Engineering Manager for Capital Improvement Program (CIP). This position manages and directs all aspects of OWASA’s CIP. This includes developing the 5-year CIP Budget, developing the 15-year CIP Plan, and ensuring all CIP related engineering studies, designs and construction work are accomplished in accordance with all regulations, as well as our standards and specifications. Supervises and assigns duties and responsibilities to four (4) Utilities Engineers and an Engineering Associate (CIP) within the Engineering and Planning Department. Position reports directly to the Director of Engineering and Planning.
Example of Duties:
- Ensure the CIP is managed in accordance with the Minority and Women Business Enterprise participation requirements
- Interacts regularly with representatives of the Towns of Carrboro and Chapel Hill, North Carolina Department of Transportation, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to ensure CIP is closely coordinated with those entities
- Manages and maintains performance metrics as necessary to ensure efficient, effective operations
- Develops and maintains Standard Operating Procedures and other documents as needed to institutionalize the procedures and practices
- Prepares reports to the Board of Directors including CIP Semiannual Reports, CIP-related Key Performance Indicators, CIP-related portions of the Quarterly Financial Reports, and information about the CIP Budget
- Makes recommendations to the Director of Engineering and Planning, Executive Director and Board of Directors regarding CIP investment levels to ensure the continued reliability of the water, sewer, and reclaimed water systems
The ideal candidate should possess outstanding communication skills and have a demonstrated ability to lead and coach staff. Must be able to set clearly defined goals, evaluate progress, and change course as necessary to fulfill the mission while ensuring that safe work practices are followed. Must be a trusted steward of the environment, our natural resources and the organization’s financial resources. Must be community minded and innovative when solving problems. A service-oriented attitude, responsiveness, professionalism, and a passion to foster a diverse and inclusive work environment are necessary.
Ideal candidate will have five to seven years of relevant experience with a Master’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, environmental sciences, or other related field. This position requires licensure as a Professional Engineer and a valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
OWASA provides excellent benefits to include membership in the NC Local Government Employees Retirement System, employer 457 plan contribution and retirement health savings account. Paid Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurances. Additional benefits include: Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick, Personal, Bereavement and Parental Leave, Educational Reimbursement, Bonus Pay for Additional Certifications and/or Education and more!
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity, and inclusion. OWASA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sex in administration of its programs or activities, or employment decisions.
Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.
The application period closes at 11:59 p.m. on April 19, 2021. View the full job listing here.