Starting New Service

Opening an Account with OWASA

If you want to start service at a residence, business or other location where the water service is now turned off:

  • Apply for service on-line by clicking here or visit our office at 400 Jones Ferry Road in Carrboro during our normal business hours (8 AM to 5 PM weekdays other than holidays).
  • You may also send us a signed application by US Mail, e-mail to, or by fax to 919-968-4464. Please note that we will need your Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN) to verify your identity.

Our normal charge for opening an account and starting your water and/or sewer service is $45 ($80 after normal business hours and on holidays or weekends). We may also require a security deposit:

  • For residential customers: $50 or $100 depending on creditworthiness.
  • For businesses and other non-residential customers:  Deposits are required based on creditworthiness and are computed as one or two times the average bill of the previous customer at the same location in the past calendar year. If there was no previous customer, OWASA will require a deposit amount based on the best information available, such as  experience with similar types, sizes, etc. of businesses.

Please click here for more information about security deposits.

  • If you apply for service during normal business hours, we will usually be able to connect your service within one business day of the application date or the date you request that service begin. The $45 service initiation fee will be included in our first month's bill.
  • If you have service connected outside our normal office hours, the $80 fee will be collected by our field personnel doing the work unless it has been paid in advance.

If the water service is already on at your location, you may choose between two methods for starting service in your name.

If you have resided at the property as a roommate AND your roommate who now has the OWASA account is leaving AND if you wish to put the account in your name, you may come to our office and complete a Name Change application. With this option, you will pay:

  • A security deposit if required ($50.00 or $100.00 depending on creditworthiness for residential customers) and
  • Any outstanding amount due on the account.

You may be asked to provide a copy of your lease to confirm the date when you became or will become a tenant.

In addition to a security deposit (if required), we charge a service initiation fee of $45 to cover the cost of setting up the account, turning on service at the meter and taking a beginning meter reading. However, you will not be responsible for the previous accountholder's water use. We will start your account with a new meter reading on the date when service is started in your name.

You may be asked to provide a lease or purchase closing documents to confirm the date when you became or will become the owner or tenant.