Please note: The summary below was prepared by OWASA staff and is not approved by the OWASA Board of Directors. OWASA’s webpage with Board meeting information includes the Board's adopted minutes, agenda materials, staff’s meeting summaries, audio recordings of Board meetings on second Thursdays of the month, and video recordings of Board meetings on fourth Thursdays of most months.
The Board of Directors:
- Received comments from about a dozen members of the public about the water emergency from February 2-5. The large majority of the speakers said they don’t think OWASA should add fluoride to drinking water. OWASA will not add fluoride to drinking water until the Board has received a final report on the cause of the overfeed on February 2nd at the Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant and considered further public input on a date to be determined. However, the Board has not decided whether to consider the policy issue of whether to add fluoride to water.
Residents also spoke about flooding damage at Midtown 501 Apartments from the large water line break on February 3rd.
- May schedule a special meeting to discuss the water emergency including consultants’ reports received on Friday, February 10th regarding the causes of the fluoride overfeed and the water line break
- Agreed to further discuss the water emergency in the business meeting on February 23rd at 7 PM in the Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Meetings with local governing boards are also scheduled:
- Chapel Hill Town Council, February 13, Chapel Hill Town Hall
- Carrboro Board of Aldermen, February 14, Carrboro Town Hall
- Orange County Board of Commissioners, February 21, Southern Human Services Center in Chapel Hill
- Approved a contract for sewer rehabilitation at various locations in coming months.
The Board will meet on Thursday, February 23rd at 7 PM in the Council Chamber at the Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard; and on Thursday, March 9th at 6 PM in the Community Room at the OWASA Administration Building, 400 Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro.